Monday, June 18, 2012

Angels & Kings






I really have not had the time this week to be free and explore.  The new job has had me learning so much and has quite absorbed me.  Which, I guess, is an exploration in its own right.  And I do love it, I truly do.  

I'll tell you what, though.  If you've never been to Brentwood, you should most certainly go!  I've been spending my days at the Country Mart, which is this huge barn like place filled with fancy shops and lovely restaurants and dining al fresco.  It's kind of the best.  You've got to see it to understand, but, I'll tell you this, I'm glad that I have that place in my repertoire of LA.  It's pretty cool.  Open air and families and people and hustle and bustle.  I like it there.

Although, to be honest, it's made me nostalgic.  I've sat there watching all of the families, and the kids after school buying candy at the candy store, and a strain of sadness runs through me.  Longing for the freedom of my childhood.  When I wasn't trying to make it in the world, when I didn't even know what that meant.  And, I've been feeling a little bit lonely, too.  Just, in a new setting, new job, new people.  And I must remind myself that I always end up settling in well to new things eventually.  And my life is good.

Aside from all of that, work, I did manage to make it out this week into Hollywood proper, which I was not expecting.  My dear friend Zooey surprised me with a phone call that went something like this: "Hey, I have a surprise for you!" "What sort of surprise?" "I'm in LA!"

Well, now, this is a friend that I met years and years ago at my good friend's wedding.  We clicked and have stayed in touch ever since.  With letters and the longest phone calls in the world.  Like, running out of batteries phone calls.  So, at this point, we know each other well.  But we hadn't actually seen each other again since we met, like, seven years ago.

So, here he was, in Los Angeles.

When he called me up, I was already in my pajamas and well into a book, but, like I told him, he's lucky because I was willing to put on normal clothes and go out for a drink simply because it was him.  Usually, once I'm settled in for the evening, I won't budge.

So, we met up with the intention of going to get my beloved weird cheese thing at Loteria, but the place was closed, and so we found ourselves nearby at Angels & Kings.  Which I told him was owned by Justin Timberlake, because, well, I thought that it was.  That's what I'd heard, anyway.

We went there for a drink, and found it surprisingly loud and brash, what with the hard metal music playing, but enjoyed ourselves nonetheless.  Although, we just could not understand why Justin Timberlake wouldn't just play his own music at his bar, or at least something like his.

Well, then I discovered, with a small bit of research, that it's actually Pete Wentz's bar, and then it all made sense.  And we probably would never have gone there had we known.  Well, who knows, it's not like we're Justin Timberlake fans either, but I'm glad we went.  It was a fun Hollywood night with a good friend.  Out of the ordinary is fine by me.  And with a great person, it's even better.

It kind of doesn't matter where you go or what you do when you're with someone you understand so well.  And love being with.  You could just go anywhere and be happy.  And we were, metal music and all.  

Also, the timing couldn't have been better.  Like life was bringing me the most unlikely visitor to remind me that I have such a wealth of friends and love.  And I am never alone.  And that in my life, no matter how many changes occur, I have always been surrounded by beautiful relationships and experiences.  And it will continue to be that way, because no matter where I go, or what I do, I will always be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment